Wednesday, May 31, 2006

stupid-head drew!

so, at church this past sunday, we sang "Jesus, Be the Center". isn't it funny the things that trigger memories? i remember singing this song at a conference we had in the eastern territory, On the Edge. actually, i don't really remember singing it. i remember drew getting up, after we just sang it, and saying that he was disappointed when he saw that it was on the set list for the weekend because he thought it was "played out". he said this sarcastically because A) he's drew and B) it was very emotional and meaningful when we sang it. so now, thanks to drew i cannot hear this song without thinking of my friend drew, and that he thought it was played out. it is one of my modern song faves. but now i have to sing it with this kind of jaded smirk, because i cannot get drew out of my mind and focus on god. but, rest easy drew, i have come to celebrate the random memories of my life.

isn't it random the memories we gather along the way. to this day i cannot squeeze a tea bag without thinking of my friend joel. it reminds me of the summer that joel and i spent sitting together at a breakfast table at camp. pretty much every morning i would make a hot tea and squeeze the tea bag, because i want my tea as strong as humanly possible, and joel would stare at me. to this day, i don't understood why he was so interested in the fact that i squeeze my tea bag. we had this unspoken conversation every morning...

joel: i'm dead
me: me too. i am totally going to go to bed as soon as the villages are calm tonight.
joel: me too. can't we talk about god before midnight...ever?
me: i couldn't agree more.

...all without speaking a word.

i miss you joel and drew.

random memory triggers anyone? or does anyone still check my blog? probably better if no one does, less pressure to be witty and clever.

ps-joel, i just found out that my husband attributes the "fall of the staff center" in popularity among older (non-pyro) staff to me...and the caseworkers, and you and matt, that same summer. it's good he has found something else to blame me for.

Comments on "stupid-head drew!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 AM) : 

Mine is sort of silly but the smell of fresh cut grass reminds me of when I was little and I would wake up on a Saturday morning with my Dad out doing yard work and my mom cooking up an extra big breakfast- now those were the days.
Cheers-

 

Blogger Cari said ... (7:38 PM) : 

When I hear a Petra song I think about the first time I met you, on a date with Tim at a Petra concert at the Lloyd Noble Center. "There's no time to change your mind/the Son has come and you've been left behind..." OOO! Jamie!! I was on a date with a guy who's now a doctor. And I'm married to a mortician. A polish one. There's a joke there somewhere. Makes me think about Tim being all cool and stuff, but then I thought, I'm much cooler, and when I met you and you were super cool, I thought you might rub off on him or something. "If not," I thought, "he's in good hands."

 

Blogger blogblogblog said ... (3:29 AM) : 

Well, I suppose I'm compelled to comment on a post entitled "stupid-head drew."

On the topic of triggers, I can't see a Cracker Barrel block of cheese without thinking of Phil Laeger. I had known him all of a couple of weeks. We were driving to the first On the Edge. We stopped at a gas station and everyone went into the convenience store to buy snacks. Some people bought Tastycakes, others chips, most bought a soda. I didn't see what Phil had bought. I heard him opening the package in the van, but wasn't really paying attention until...he leaned over the seat toward me and offered some of his snack, "Cheese log? Anyone want some cheese log?" I couldn't believe it. Who does that? First of all, who buys that as a snack and second of all, why would I want to share it after he had gnawed on it?

Jamie, I miss you too. Tim, not so much, but we miss you. Hoping to get over there before Olyvia is taking her A levels.

Be my path, be my guide...

 

post a comment