Thursday, February 22, 2007

have you ever been snubbed by a beggar?

i have.

in the last few weeks i have had several things happen that have stirred the blogging thoughts in my head: i turned 34 (too boring and obvious), i saw the show wicked with my friend kate (too joel ivany). but finally today something that has driven me to my computer.

in the last few months god has challenged me to live a more open-handed life. basically that means that i try to give change when i am asked for it. let me stop you there. whatever your views on this, i am confident i have heard them and probably even preached them myself, but thanks for making sure. i think this will be a life long journey, with many turns and stops, but maybe no answer.

anyway, today lyvi and i were coming home through wood green. i saw a man with a cup sitting on some steps so i reached for the 6p i knew i had in my pocket (that's like 6 cents to you and me russ). i went to put them in this bloke's cup and he put his hand over it. i stepped back. there was other change in there, so i knew i had not made the faux pas of thinking he was begging when he was really just having a cup of coffee and a rest (ala sandra bullock in 2 weeks notice). i was taken aback and went to put it in again. he covered the cup again and said, "no, i can't take your money". i waited, for surely there must be more. he said, "you have a baby, i don't take money from people with children. i have my own children." basically implying that children cost a lot...which is true. so i gave a feebled attempt "my baby has everything she needs" and went for the cup again. he covered it again and said, " i don't take money from people with children".

who knew that beggars have standards?

now, with a belly over-full of kfc and diet coke i wish i would have said something like...

"let me be a good example for my daughter. as a father i'm sure you know how important it is to teach our children to be generous."

as usual, the wit comes too late to be helpful or appreciated. i'll be thinking on this one for awhile.

Comments on "have you ever been snubbed by a beggar?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 AM) : 

Interesting. If only I could be guilty of such generosity.

 

Blogger jsi said ... (1:33 PM) : 

The standards of a beggar - an imposing thought. Keep your eyes open and your heart open - what an experience you encountered with this man who saw you with wide pen eyes as well.
Continue you daily opennes of generosity, it makes a difference in your life to be able to give to someone.

I understand what you mean that you can think of the "riht thing you should have said" and that it comes so much later.

 

post a comment