Wednesday, March 14, 2007

the worst kind of homesick

Yesterday I ran smack into my past. There is a group here from Arlington, Texas. They are a youth group on a mission trip. A bunch of fresh faced white kids, with a youth pastor, Eric, who looks just as young and fresh faced as they do. Eric knows my youth pastor from when I was a kid. Also the children’s pastor at his church was in my youth group, but she was in high school when I was in middle school. That was a huge gap in our youth group. I forgot that the Southern Baptist Youth culture in Oklahoma and Texas is not that different from the same in The Salvation Army.

Anyway, I now find myself suffering from the worst kind of homesickness. Not just homesickness for family, friends, culture, food, etc, but homesick for a certain time in my life. Right now I ache to be 16 and in Edmond, Oklahoma... when my world was only as big as school, show choir, and my youth group. I want more than anything to be calling up Keith and Christi to plan what we are going to do this weekend. Today is Wednesday, so we probably wouldn’t be planning that just yet, but we would be deciding if we were going to do our homework after youth group tonight or go to godfather’s pizza. As for me, I was a geek, so probably going out after Solid Rock would motivate me to get my homework done before church. If it was a day like today, I would go to sonic, get the biggest vanilla coke ever (Route 44) and go to Hafer Park to do my homework.

There are many things about that culture that I have grown beyond now, I guess that is part of growing up. When I can be objective, I have serious doubts as to whether I can fit in to that kind of life again. But right now my homesickness overwhelms logic. I can’t get past fantasies of sonic, 91fm, big church, and high school crushes.

Comments on "the worst kind of homesick"

 

Blogger jsi said ... (7:35 AM) : 

I hear your words and can identify with a homesickness for a simpler life, when everything about my schedule and responsibilities was protected and managed through parents and caring adults. When the toughest thing I had to accomplish was get my science project finished before the weekend so I could be a member of Youth Band weekend without lettng my dad down that I still had work to do for school.
Or making sure I finished my phone calls by 8:45 'cause it was bedtime.
I know what you mean about growing out of a simpler lief, but I ong for the simple times again.
What a terrific post you have tonight.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 AM) : 

Makes me want to dig up some old frozen cobbler and ice cream and kick back in a comfy brown recliner.

 

Blogger Sean said ... (11:54 PM) : 

How about

A.) you were in show choir?! Then you must have intimate knowledge of jazz hands

and

B.) you know Godfather's Pizza!? I thought the only one was in Indiana, Pa. every Sunday night after Salvation meeting while watching Sagot introduce Funniest Home Videos.

 

post a comment